Sunday, October 18, 2015

What is a Virtual Race anyway?






One day I was navigating online, when I stumbled across the words "Virtual Race" I assumed it had something to do with the television show The Amazing Race. 

I clicked on it and found out it had nothing to do with the television show and everything to do with running. Well running and walking. Apparently there are all kinds of virtual races people can sign up for and share their results with other runners all over the world. You can do this style of racing whenever & wherever you want. You have the freedom to choose where you want to run You become your very own race director. You design the course, the date, the time, etc...

OR
 
For example: Running On The Wall
With Running On The Wall you have the ability to take part in a race against yourself or and why not share the result with the Facebook group (everyone is social media savvy these days.) "This has become a very popular event with people who are interested in taking part in racing events, but cannot do so owing to pre-commitments or lack of opportunities." I myself love participating in races with other people. I love the excitement that comes along with racing and of course the challenges too, but unfortunately I cannot afford to participate in as many races as I would like. Not only are race prices increasing, so is the cost to travel to these races. Like myself and many others we tend to stick to as many local races as we can. I'm not complaining by any means, let me reassure you because I am thankful for all the races I do get to participate in here on the Big Island, but I'm human and yes I wish I could travel to race even more.

Running On The Wall was created by two runners themselves. They know how hard we train and with that they like to offer little bits of inspiration to go along with our training. 

Click the Link above to read more About Melianna and Alex (The two behind the scenes at Running On The Wall) you'll like them. You will like what they have to offer to you yourself if you are the runner or maybe someone else. Whatever it may be, just check out Running On The Wall and see for yourself all they have to offer.


I only recently joined as one of their Running On the Wall Athletes. My first race with them will be this Month of October (I know it's closely coming to an end) I will get it done don't you worry and I will live to tell about it too!
I love catchy little phrases that motivate me to keep going and some running swag is always nice too. I also have found that I enjoy talking with other runners via social media. There are so many runners out there that have experiences similar to yours or so completely different that you would have never imagined. I find myself becoming friends with some of these runners that I meet in these running groups. We support each other and cheer each other on. We motivate and Inspire one another!
At the end of the day I love to run and so do these other people in the groups. Regardless of a race or not, I am going to train. 

Right now I am training for Honolulu Marathon 2015 (Not a Virtual race). I know it's important to train speed and train long and take rest days too. This year I feel slightly far from the speed I need to accomplish the Marathon Race I am chasing. I figure that if I sign up with Running On The Wall Facebook group I will find that bit of extra motivation I need to get a little bit faster.

Virtual race - Challenges changes youI signed up to run a Virtual 10k. It's a great distance to run, to check in on my speed and yet not too long that it's going to put me out before my Marathon in December. And so here it is, the fun run swag to go along with my Virtual Race
"If it doesn't Challenge you, it doesn't Change you" this will be my mantra as I run my first official Virtual 10k.
( You can order a variety of race kits by heading over to Runningonthewall.com )
The distance is set and now all I have to do is commit to running my 10k. No problem I tend to get it done this week...

And for those of you who do enjoy running and have only thought about running a race,but never actually signed up for a race, this might be exactly what you need. Maybe you don't want to spend all kinds of money and don't really want to run with all kinds of people, but you do want all kinds of swag (Of COURSE YOU DO). You can also go online and pick a distance that will suit you best and purchase the race kit to go with it. I am confident that you will not regret signing up for your Virtual Race. And remember you can keep it a secret if you want to, but you probably won't be able to...

So I will get to running my 10k this week (Planning Wednesday if you want to run with me) and I will get back to all of you to let you know how it went. I will give you all the details (where I run, my pace, my mindset, how my body feels, etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah.)

Running On The Wall go check them out - what are you waiting for?







Happy Running or Walking my friends,

Brooke Myers






 

No comments:

Post a Comment