Sunday, September 27, 2015

(Sole) Insert Here!





Insert Here ⬆
Injuries are so much fun, said NO ONE EVER!!!

Most athletes have experienced some kind of uncomfortable feeling, at some point or another. Trying not to freak out, is the key. Getting to the root of the problem is the key that unlocks the door to Recovery/Healing/Running.

Whenever I feel something, I think I'm not supposed to be feeling, immediately my head goes nutzo 😁
Lately, it's my feet, unfortunately.
I've been feeling similar effects of what may be described as Plantar Fasciitis. (You probably just read this and said to yourself, "ooohhh I have that too", or "I've had that", or something like "that's what I think I have.") Plantar Fasciitis is particularly common in runners.

I've always been a runner that will roll my feet, stretch my feet, roll my legs, stretch my legs and all the other recommended things a runner should do to stay healthy physically. I feel I do a pretty good job at listening to my body. I practice yoga, I take warm Epsom Salt baths, use Deep Blue essential oil for my muscles, I take BioAstin. What more do I need to do to keep going? I know there is always more I can do. So, I have started icing my feet after each run and focusing more on stretching my calves (its helping!)

This week, I stopped into the Big Island Running Company here on the Big Island and got myself a pair of inserts or Footbeds to try ( One thing, up to this point I had not tried yet). This is a first for my feet.
Sole

I highly recommend going into a local store you feel comfortable talking to and know you can trust. Luckily, I know the owners of the shop well enough that I don't feel embarrassed talking about my nutzo thoughts I have. After trying a couple different pair of inserts or footbeds, I decided to go with SOLE. I had one brand in my left shoe and SOLE in my right shoe. Immediately, my right foot felt the comfort of the footbed. We switched out the left for SOLE too and both feet seemed to be quite happy.

(I'll be honest I never thought I would need to use inserts or footbeds, but sometimes we do not have control over our bodies needs. My feet have been wanting more attention and before it was too late, I listened.)

The following day, I had a light & easy run scheduled, so I decided to give these bad boys a go!
A little nervous because of what I might feel, yes I was.
I started off slow and easy to begin the molding of my foot to the footbed. Kind of Instantly, they became friends. Cheesy I know!
I ran 7 miles on the Queen K Highway testing out my new feel. I never had to stop, no complaints, feet a little warmer than usual (but this could have been the time of day I was running and the new pair of socks. Lol)

I got done with my run and everything seemed to feel great. My feet recovered well from those 7 miles. The bit of pain or tension I was experiencing prior to wearing my new SOLE footbeds seemed to be decreasing already. YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Right runners, we want to feel our best all the time and when injured or out of running for even a day or two, we feel so excited about bouncing back.

Today, I headed out on the road just before 5am and at first I had not planned to wear the footbeds for my long run just in case something were to go wrong. But, my feet had felt so good from my 7 miler the other day, that I took a chance and went out for 18 miles (Either way I had nothing to lose. My feet were wither going to hurt or not hurt with support or no support.)
I did stop two different times during this mornings run to tighten and loosen my laces (with the inserts/footbeds, I notice my right heel was slipping out of my shoe a little, very little.) Once I finally got my laces where I needed them to be comfort wise, I continued running with no complaints. And here I am hours later and feeling really good actually...
I'm quite happy with my overall experience thus far in my new SOLE footbeds.

Feels SOLE Good.




Have you had to run with Plantar Fasciitis? Talk to me... tell me your secrets to recovery and feeling better during and after running. I would appreciate your knowledge. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here that has nothing to do with running. Just saying!!!!








Just Breathe
Brooke Myers

Follow my Fitness Lifestyle @breathebrooke via Twitter & Instagram 

Thanks for reading - 
and thank you for the Support that has me Running:


No comments:

Post a Comment