Friday, October 7, 2016

FRIDAY FIVE! #AwareWithPink


The SweatPink community Care's and We know you do too!!!


I'm excited to share with you my first edition of FRIDAY FIVES! In honor of "Breast Cancer Awareness" during the month of October, myself and the rest of the SWEATPINK community will be coming together to show our support. The SweatPink community is about more than just sweating, running, walking, or fitness. Sure it makes up a large part of who we are, but we also care about real life situations. As we know, Breast Cancer is a real life situation that no one should have to face alone. The SweatPink community and
AfterShokz will be doing our best to show as much support and spread awareness for those who have been effected by Breast Cancer. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, AfterShokz has launched their Brightly colored PINK - Trekz Titanium Pink headphones. (For every unit sold through October 31st, 2016 on aftershokz.com, AfterShokz will donate 25% of proceeds to Bright Pink – a non profit that focuses on breast and ovarian cancer awareness and education.) Please check out their website for more details!


The SweatPink Community will not only be sweating PINK in our fancy PINK laces & apparel, we will be getting #AwareWithPink. So all of our posts, hash-tagging, Insta-gramming, social media sharing during the month of October is for raising awareness and we want all of you to join in with us!!!
((Every Wednesday & Friday in October, SweatPink will be posting two daily prompts on the Fit Approach Instagram channel. Please Join in! Go get yourself sweaty, snap a picture (which all know we do anyways) and be sure to tag @FitApproach @myaftershokz #sweatpink, #AwareWithPink, and help raise awareness!))




Today I will share with you my FRIDAY FIVES: The FIVE things that make me feel Aware & Empowered.

1.) Lets talk about Self-Care: For years I neglected the importance of caring about myself. Yes - I took showers and took care of myself in that sort of way, but I didn't believe I was important enough to spend time on worrying about in other ways. Long story short I ended up with a long battle with Bulimia. Fast forward to where I am now in 2016, more than ever I believe in Self-Care. One of the largest attributes to taking care of myself, is my yoga practice. Yoga is more than just a physical practice for me. It is about healing my mind set and learning to appreciate exactly who I am moment to moment. As a yoga teacher, I hope to share with each of my students the importance of taking care of the self. I always say that each time a student steps onto his or her mat, is a time to practice being completely selfish in the most beautiful way. If you show up to practice then be committed to your own happiness, healing, and let go of the outside factors you no longer have control over. Everyone should be an advocate for Self-Care. Not doing so can lead to burnout, high levels of stress, and loss of passion. Now I know I have experienced burnout firsthand and if I ask you if you have too, I am sure some of you are saying to yourself right now "yup I have too." 
Well I have heard this termed as (“compassion fatigue”) for the work we do. I know that if I don't take care of myself the best I know how mentally, I will no longer be able to care for others in such a way that will be beneficial to them both mentally & physically.We have to remind ourselves that Self-Care is not just the physical aspects, but the Mental aspects as well. We should not be afraid to touch ourselves, learn about our bodies, learn about our minds. Part of the whole #BCA is about getting to know yourself. Women do not be afraid to give yourself a general breast exam ( ask your doctor what you should be looking for) from time to time. Touchy feely is a form of Self-Care.... Yoga has taught me it's okay to be touchy feely with myself both mentally & physically. It's about self-love and acceptance.....

2.) Friends Who Inspire: This little person I am going to mention is more than just a friend to me, he is my almost 7 year old son Whistler. He has played a HUGE role in my life in many ways. I could go on and on for days about this little boy. Being a mom to him requires mental and physical strength, health and happiness, love and support, knowledge and guidance. All in which I want to be able to share with him. My son INSPIRES me to work hard to achieve each of these. When I feel like a trigger might set me back into my old habits, my son comes to my mind immediately and I know in that second I need to keep going forwards. We have such a strong connection as mother and son and I wouldn't change it for the world. I will continue to thank my son for motivating me & Inspiring me to get up in the morning, help him with his homework, play Lego's, go to the park with him, go on little dates together to the coffee shop & shell collecting,put him to sleep at night after reading books, and all the other little and big things we do. I know if my son wasn't a part of my life as he is, I would lack the amount of Inspiration I have in order to live in this life. He is my INSPIRATION! He INSPIRES ME! MY SON INSPIRES ME TO LIVE!!!

3.) Giving Back: How do you give back? How do I give back?? I believe I give back through yoga. On the daily, I believe I am Giving Back through my Yoga Teaching and Fitness Instructing. I put myself out there in this community and share all I know about health & fitness & yoga & running in any way I can. Anyone who is willing to learn from me or take the time to come practice or workout with me, shows me they care enough about themselves to live a better lifestyle. And in return I care enough and am willing to teach and share my passion with each of those individuals in order for them to live a better lifestyle. Sometimes being a Yoga Teacher or Fitness Instructor requires a lot of mental and physical strength. If we are not feeling our best, how can we expect to give our best... But Giving Back is always more important to me - seeing my students/clients achieve their goals makes it all worth it every single day. I would much rather see the accomplishments of others than only see them in myself.

4.) Inspiring Threads: A huge part of my teachings have come from my yoga teachers, meditations leaders, workshop leaders, and the community in which I live. All of these threads have all contributed to the weaving of the Yoga Teacher I have become today. Just to name a few that I have not had the opportunity to meet in person with, but try and learn from as much as I can through social media threads and reading books would be: Kathryn Budig, Paul Grilley, Shiva Rea, Amy Ippoliti and well really there are so many more, I hate to leave them out, but I could again go on and on and on.... In regards to apparel (which has to feel comfortable and lightweight), I would have to say some of my absolute favorites while practicing yoga or out in the hot sun training for a Marathon are: With Love From Paradise, Alo Yoga, Prana, Affirmats & Liforme yoga mat, Mizuno Running Shoes, Zoot tri shorts and of course I have to have my Garmin for those long training runs! And yes a nice pair of Aftershokz would be helpful while I am spinning on the bike or HIIT training in the gym where no one else wants to hear my music.. LOL...

5.) Music To My Ear - Tunes that Inspire: Music I know, plays like one of the biggest roles in working out. It does play a huge part of mine when it comes to teaching or yet taking another teachers SPIN, BUTI, and/or HIIT class. I want music that just feels really good to get my body moving. The kind of music that strikes just the right nerve to get my body moving and grooving in all the right ways. I know so many people that will not workout without music. I can understand that... Music is freaking Awesome!!!

But...................To be 100% honest, when it comes to me and "Running" the only music I listen to is the sound of my own breath and feet hitting the pavement. Running takes me deep within myself and withing that depth, I want to be able to pay attention to and understand my breathing. Music tends to be more of a distraction when I am running unfortunately. But let me reassure you, all other fitness activities better have some tunes playing, PLAYING LOUDLY!!!!!

With that said - Some of my favorite tunes that have been buzzing in my ears are: ((And if you are interested in sharing music or in need of something new or different be sure to check me out and follow me on Spotify)) Brooke Myers https://open.spotify.com/user/brooke-myers
  1. Capsize - Emily Warren, FRENSHIP
  2. Music by Fetty Wap
  3. Till Ya Legs Hurt - 99 Percent
  4. Funk Sweat Dope - Bobo Norco, Mississippi 
  5. Sisters - A Tribe Called Red, Northern Voice
  6. Hym For The Weekend - Coldplay, Seeb
  7.  Side to Side - Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj 
  8. Work - Burns' Late Night Rollin Remix (Rihanna, Drake)
  9. Talking Body - The Young Professionals Remix (Tove Lo)
  10. Music by Major Lazer
I know I am leaving out some of my favs right now - just check out my Spotify for the others....





***Again we SweatPink 'ers hope all of you will Please join us during the Month of October and Show your support as we Raise Awareness for Brest Cancer. #SweatPink #MyAfterShokz #BCA #AwareWithPink No one should have to go through this fight alone!


So much Love and Support,
Brooke






No comments:

Post a Comment