Sunday, December 6, 2015

6 Days 13 Hours 11 minutes

 
 Honolulu Marathon 2014 Finish-line feed 3:00-4:00 (If you know my finishing time from last year - you should be able to find me?)

Most people this time of year get all excited because it's the Holiday Season. I get excited because I know I will be running the Honolulu Marathon along with thousands of other people. It means the last marathon of the season and right around the corner a New Year.

I look forward to running this particular marathon all year. It holds that special place in my heart that no other race has touched yet. It was my very first marathon I ever watched (chasing mile markers to find my sister Bree Wee ), the first marathon I ever fully participated in individually (I have done a relay marathon in West Palm Beach with my college girlfriends, but I only ran like 5 miles of the 26.2 and almost died...lol), and it was the first marathon to create what I consider a goal chasing PR for myself. A PR I intend to break!!!

Honolulu Marathon has seen me cry tears of pain, hurt, trouble both mentally and physically. It has witnessed me completely break down. Honolulu Marathon has also seen me cry tears of joy and complete happiness for my accomplishments. It has witnessed me run one of the best running days of my life thus far... A running day where I never walked, never bonked, never felt pain, never wanted to stop running, nutrition was on point, body felt great every mile, and I can still feel the run in my heart. Deep down in my heart.

I get a sense of peace this time of year (Marathon Race type of Peace). I don't get that typical pre-race anxiety that leaves my stomach and my head all tangled in a mess. I used too - but now I think I have run enough Marathons and have learned how to calm my nerves. I know I have put in the miles training, the time, the strength, some speed, and the heart. As I near the starting line this year, I take a deep breath in and close my eyes for a short moment. I tell myself that "I will allow whatever is to come of this years Honolulu Marathon to be another experience and I will embrace it with all of my heart either way."

Only 6 Days 13 Hours and 11 minutes until the gun goes off! I can't wait!!! Oops, actually now it is 6 Days 12 Hours and 43 minutes...you know you're counting, as am I :)



To everyone running this year ( and I know there are a lot of you from the Big Island), I hope you have a beautiful run, an incredible experience, and please do not forget to breathe it all in..


Lots of love to all of you -

Brooke Myers


No comments:

Post a Comment